Liver Biopsy in San Jose
Trusted Diagnostic Testing at San Jose Gastroenterology
If you have been told that you may have liver disease or any other condition that requires a liver biopsy, it is important that you contact San Jose Gastroenterology and speak with an experienced doctor on our medical team. At San Jose Gastroenterology, our San Jose gastroenterology doctors have over 12 years of in-depth experience with providing outstanding diagnostic procedures and treatments to our patients, and you can be confident knowing that your health is in good hands when you’re with us.
Contact us online or call us at (408) 347-9001 to learn more about liver biopsies and schedule an appointment today!
Liver biopsies can help determine if there are complications within the liver itself, such as issues with enzymes and enzyme production. These biopsies are often requested by doctors that have observed an abnormality, such as complications on an ultrasound, if you have had an enlarged liver, or if you appear to have yellow, jaundiced skin.
Why Get a Liver Biopsy?
Biopsies are often completed quickly and efficiently, and many people experience little to no complications as a result of a liver biopsy. Our San Jose gastroenterology doctors take great care in performing the procedure and ensure that you are comfortable with the testing.
Liver biopsy procedures typically include:
- Stopping blood thinning medications prior to the procedure.
- During the exam, you will lay on your back and the doctor will ensure that your arm is away from the right side and that you remain still throughout the procedure.
- Some patients receive a sedative, and an ultrasound is used to detect and observe the liver.
- Your skin will be numbed with an anesthetic and a small incision will be made directly above the biopsy site.
- The tissue will then be extracted with a needle.
In most cases, the procedure is efficient and recovery is quick. Many patients find that they have slight discomfort, but a pain reliever can help. Your doctor will follow-up with any results once the tests are completed.
Schedule a Biopsy with a San Jose Gastroenterology Doctor Today
If you have been referred to our office, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with our team as soon as possible. We can be reached for an appointment at (408) 347-9001.