Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in San Jose
Trustworthy Medical Services at San Jose Gastroenterology
Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, or ERCP, is a procedure performed to help diagnose complications in the pancreas, liver, and bile ducts. The procedure itself is done in-office and can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to complete, and all the while you will be under the caring, watchful eyes of our experienced and professional San Jose gastroenterologists. At San Jose Gastroenterology, we have 12 years of in-depth experience with caring for our patients and we are proud of our commitment to excellence.
If you have been referred to our team for an ERCP, give us a call and schedule a consultation or appointment by dialing us at (408) 347-9001.
The ERCP Procedure
ERCP procedures are commonly used to diagnose conditions in the upper digestive tract area, including gallstones, cancer, scarring, and complications arising from diseases, infections, or trauma.
When you undergo an ERCP procedure at San Jose Gastroenterology, you can expect:
- To arrive 15 minutes early to your appointment and complete all paperwork in accordance with the procedure.
- You will be given medication to help numb your throat and you may be given a sedative for the procedure itself.
- You will be led into an x-ray room and told to lay down on your left side on an exam table. The left side is optimal in watching the body’s digestive tract.
- When you are relaxed, a flexible tube called an endoscope will be placed into your mouth and guided into your stomach.
- A small tube will be passed through the scope and dye will be injected directly into your digestive system.
- As the dye travels through your system, the x-ray will take images of where the dye is, how fast it is moving through your system, and any obstacles or complications it may face.
- Based on the findings of the x-ray images, your doctor may be able to diagnose a condition or offer treatment as necessary.
Do You Need an ERCP? Call San Jose Gastroenterology!
For more information on how San Jose Gastroenterology and our San Jose gastroenterology doctors may be able to help you, call our office and schedule a consultation with our team of trusted professionals. We can be reached at (408) 347-9001.