Colonoscopy in San Jose
Preventative & Diagnostic Colonoscopies
At San Jose Gastroenterology, we are proud to have over 12 years of in-depth experience with providing trusted gastro diagnoses and testing, and we are dedicated to compassionate, professional care. We are a team of board-certified gastroenterologists and hepatologists that offer cutting-edge technology and preventative and diagnostic options for our patients.
If you have been referred to our team for a colonoscopy, call our office today and schedule a consultation or appointment with our staff. We can be reached at (408) 347-9001.
The Colonoscopy Procedure
Colonoscopy procedures provide your doctor with a visual view of what may be happening in your digestive tract and allows for your care staff to make a diagnostic or treatment plan for your health. The colon is your large intestine and one of your body’s main nutrient absorbers, and if there are any lesions, polyps, or other abnormalities, a colonoscopy may be able to detect them.
In order to prepare for a colonoscopy, San Jose Gastroenterology recommends that you prep your bowels and refrain from consuming any foods with red or purple dye. Generally, clear broth, tea, water, and gelatin are acceptable to eat.
Once your bowels are prepped, the colonoscopy may proceed as follows:
- You will be placed under a light sedative at the gastro office. These procedures are generally performed in-office and are out-patient procedures.
- While under sedation, you will be placed on your left side and a long, flexible tube with a light will be placed into your rectum and guided into your colon.
- Your intestine is inflated with carbon dioxide so the doctor can see all areas of the intestinal lining.
- When the scope reaches the small intestine and all videos are up to the doctor’s standards, the tube will be removed and images will be reviewed.
- Abnormalities, lesions, or polyps may be biopsied or removed. Depending on the diagnosis and your doctor’s discretion, any further actions that may be needed will be discussed at the post-colonoscopy procedure appointment.
Call for a Consultation with a San Jose Gastroenterology Doctor
At San Jose Gastroenterology, we can help you diagnose, treat, and discuss all options available to you and your health. For more information and on how we can provide you with outstanding service and medical care, call us today at (408) 347-9001 to schedule an appointment with a San Jose gastroenterologist.