IBS Treatment in San Jose
Santa Clara County Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatment
Our Doctors Contact Us Give Us a Call
Irritable Bowel Syndrome—also known as IBS—is a gastrointestinal disorder affecting between 3-20% of Americans. Possible causes of this syndrome include colon or immune system sensitivity, and can be triggered by certain foods or an increase in stress levels.
At San Jose Gastroenterology, our team will provide accurate diagnosis and treatment to help get you back to feeling your best. We might be able to diagnose IBS based on a physical exam and discussion about your medical history. But, if not, we might recommend blood tests, stool samples, or a colonoscopy to rule out infection or other disease. With over 15 years of experience, we have been a trusted name in gastroenterology. So, if you are suffering with symptoms of IBS, give our team a call.
To learn more about our IBS testing and treatment solutions, call our team today at (408) 347-9001.
IBS Diagnostics in San Jose, CA
What Triggers IBS?
Irritable bowel syndrome has no known cause. The physical cause of IBS is a malfunction of the muscle lining of the intestines that rhythmically contracts and relaxes to move food through the digestive system. Due to this, contractions may last for a longer or shorter period of time, during which they can become tighter or weaker than they should be, resulting in various IBS symptoms.
Some people may experience IBS triggered by the following stimuli, although the exact triggers will differ from person to person:
- Food Allergies & Intolerances. Know which foods aggravate your IBS symptoms if you have food allergies or intolerances. It is best to keep track of what you eat every day and compare this to any instances of discomfort caused by your symptoms in order to determine these triggers.
- Related Medical Conditions. IBS and other gastrointestinal conditions can be caused by GI infections such as gastroenteritis.
- Psychological Factors & Stress. Irritable bowel syndrome can also be triggered by stress, depression, and anxiety.
- Imbalanced Hormones. IBS can be caused by an imbalance in reproductive hormones, neurotransmitters, and estrogen.
Symptoms of IBS
There are three separate classifications: IBS with constipation (IBS-C), IBS with diarrhea (IBS-D), and IBS with mixed bowel habits (IBS-M). Symptoms can range from mild to debilitating and might not always be persistent, with some patients experiencing issues a few days every month. This makes recording symptoms and creating a food diary helpful tools in diagnosis and treatment.
IBS symptoms include:
- Frequent diarrhea
- Cramping or abdominal pain
- Gas and bloating
- Frequent constipation
- Changes in the appearance of your bowel movements, like the presence of mucus
- In severe cases, IBS can cause symptoms such as rectal bleeding, uncontrollable bowel movements, unexplained vomiting, and iron-deficiency anemia
Unfortunately, there is no cure for IBS, so we will create customized plans to help relieve your symptoms. We start by employing conservative treatments such as dietary or lifestyle changes. If those don’t mitigate your symptoms, we will work with you to develop a medication plan based on whether your IBS manifests as constipation or diarrhea.
Does IBS Affect Everyone?
Anyone can develop IBS, but certain factors can increase one's chances of developing it, including:
- People under the age of 50 are more likely to suffer from IBS.
- The likelihood of women developing IBS is twice that of men.
- As IBS can be psychological, those who are emotionally unstable are more likely to develop it.
- Like most illnesses and ailments, a family history of IBS can play a significant factor in an individual's risk of developing IBS.
Call us at (408) 347-9001 or fill out our online form today to schedule an appointment.
Schedule an AppointmentStart the Path Towards Healing Today
How We Stand Out
Providing Quality Care Since 2005
Four Convenient Locations Throughout San Jose
Nationally & Internationally Recognized Research
Advanced, In-Patient Treatments
Compassionate, First-Rate Care
Hear What Our Patients ThinkExpert Care, Proven Results
“Thank you Dr. Levitt!”- Thomas Jennings
“Excellent colonoscopy experience!”- Danielle
“Heartfelt thanks to Dr. Geeta Kutty!”- Jyothi D